Chair of Trustee Board Rosemary Edwards
Vice Chair of Trustee Board Keith Bothamley
The Governance Structure at Horsforth School is made up of 7 seven members and 11 Trustees.
Members & Trustees
As charitable companies limited by guarantee every trust has Members who have a similar role to the shareholders in a company limited by shares.
The Trustees are both charity trustees and company directors and they manage the business of the academy trust and may exercise all the powers of the academy trust.
The Members meet a minimum of 2 times throughout the year. The Trustee Board meets a minimum of six times throughout the year.
The core functions of the Trustee Board are:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent.
- are signatories to the articles of association which includes definition of the trusts’ charitable object and governance structure (where they are founding Members);
- may, by special resolution, amend the articles of association, subject to any restrictions created by the trust’s funding agreement or charity law;
- may, by special resolution (which requires 75% rather than a simple majority of Members to agree) appoint new Members or remove existing Members other than, where there is one, the foundation/ sponsor body and any Members it has appointed;
- have power to appoint Trustees as set out in the trust’s articles of association, and have power under the Companies Act to remove any or all serving Trustees;
- may by special resolution issue direction to the Trustees to take a specific action;
- appoint the Trust’s auditors and receive the trust’s annual audited accounts; and
- have power to change the name of the charitable company and ultimately, wind up the academy trust.
Key elements of our governance
Effective governance in our Academy Trust is supported by the following:
- Trust Members – the guardians of the constitution, the right to appoint and remove Trustees, the equivalent of shareholders in a company.
- Trust Board – the Directors / Trustees.
- Ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction for the Trust.
- Supports and holds the Leadership of the school to account for educational performance.
- Approves the budget and has oversight of all strategic decision and direction.
- Responsible for appointing the Headteacher.
- Audit committee – Members and Trustees
- Assisting the Trust Board in meeting its responsibilities for financial reporting, internal and external auditing.
- Recommend Appointment of Auditors to the Members.
- Agreeing a schedule of audit.
- Management of risk
If you are interested in becoming a Horsforth School Trustee please contact Tracy Hartley, Clerk to the Trustee Board at email@example.com.
|Trustee Name and Term of Office||Area of Responsibility||Declaration of Interests||Governance in other Institutions||2017-18 Attendance||2018-19 Attendance|
|Paul Bell (Headteacher)
|4 of 4||6 of 6|
||2 of 2||6 of 6|
|Rosemary Edwards (Chair)
||Partner at Shulmans LLP||4 of 4||6 of 6|
||Manager of Horsforth Children’s Service. Horsforth School comisions part of the funding towards Horsforth Children’s Service.||1 of 3||2 of 2|
|Mr Tom La Dell
||Employee at BHP Financial Planning||N/A||5 of 5|
|Employee at Leeds Women’s Aid||N/A||1 of 2|
02.12.14 – 02.12.18
|3 of 4||1 of 2|
02.12.14 – 02.12.18
|3 of 4||0 of 2|
||Head of Commercial Enterprises at
Leeds Trinity University
|3 of 4||4 of 6|
||3 of 4||6 of 6|
|Curriculum Leader of English at Horsforth School
Membership of NASUWT
|N/A||3 of 3|
||President of Horsforth Village Historical Society
President of Horsforth Choral Society20
|1 of 4||5 of 6|
||4 of 4||5 of 6|