The Structure of Horsforth School’s Governing Body
The Board of Horsforth School is made up of 7 seven members and 14 Trustees.
As charitable companies limited by guarantee every trust has Members who have a similar role to the shareholders in a company limited by shares.
- are signatories to the articles of association which includes definition of the trusts’ charitable object and governance structure (where they are founding Members);
- may, by special resolution, amend the articles of association, subject to any restrictions created by the trust’s funding agreement or charity law;
- may, by special resolution (which requires 75% rather than a simple majority of Members to agree) appoint new Members or remove existing Members other than, where there is one, the foundation/ sponsor body and any Members it has appointed;
- have power to appoint Trustees as set out in the trust’s articles of association, and have power under the Companies Act to remove any or all serving Trustees;
- may by special resolution issue direction to the Trustees to take a specific action;
- appoint the trust’s auditors and receive the trust’s annual audited accounts; and
- have power to change the name of the charitable company and ultimately, wind up the academy trust.
The Trustees are both charity trustees and company directors and they manage the business of the academy trust and may exercise all the powers of the academy trust.
The Members meet a minimum of three times throughout the year. The Trustee Board meets a minimum of four times throughout the year.
The core functions of the Trustee Board are:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
There are four committees which meet once per term on which a designated number of Trustees sit. These are:
- Curriculum Committee
- Pastoral Committee
- Finance & premises Committee
- Strategy & Personnel Committee
The Chair of Trustees is Mr Roland Meredith, who can be contacted via school.
If you are interested in becoming a Horsforth School Governor please contact the school.