At Horsforth School, we recognise the direct correlation between attendance and success. For our students to gain the greatest benefit from their education it is vital that they attend regularly. You can help by ensuring your child is at school, on time, every day the school is open unless the reason for the absence is unavoidable.
In order for an attendance record to be good it must be 96% or above:-
100% = excellent attendance
98% = very good attendance
96% = good attendance
Good attendance benefits students in the following ways:
- Continuity of learning which makes progress and retention easier;
- Improved performance in coursework tasks;
- Enhanced performance in examinations;
- Continuity of relationships and friendships;
- Good references for further education or employment;
- Good habits are formed for later life.
What does the percentage equate to in days?
10 days absence = 95% attendance = 50 lessons missed
20 days absence = 89% attendance = 100 lessons missed
29 days absence = 85% attendance = 145 lessons missed
38 days absence = 80% attendance = 190 lessons missed
If your child is absent you must:
- Contact us as soon as possible on the day of absence;
- Send a note in on the first day they return with an explanation of the absence – you must do this even if you have already telephoned us; or
- You can call into school and report to reception.